Peer learning is key to GIFT’s strategy to advance global norms and fiscal transparency. In 2016, we have an ambitious agenda that covers all corners of the world with multiple opportunities to share experiences and learn from what others are doing.
In most cases, these activities will bring governments, civil society and private sector together to set the stage for collaboration and dialogue, as a key ingredient to finding innovative solutions.
- March 14, Guatemala City: Conference in Guatemala hosted by ICEFI, the World Bank, the Fiscal Openness Working Group (GIFT), in a dialogue with the Ministry of Finance, other relevant local stakeholders and the Open Government Partnership (OGP) Support Unit, to address issues around the new Guatemalan Government OGP National Action Plan on fiscal transparency commitments.
- April 4-6, Mexico City: Fiscal Openness Working Group workshop, hosted by the Ministry of Finance, with more than 10 countries’ MoF and CSO representatives attending to learn about and discuss fiscal transparency portals and disclosure of budget information using open data formats.
- April 11, Washington DC: public discussion of new normative instruments for fiscal transparency and public finance management, including the IMF Resource Revenue Management pillar, the new PEFA Program Framework, and the GIFT public participation principles, in the framework of the IMF-World Bank Spring meetings.
- April-May, Washington DC (date to be determined): donor discussion on improving donor efforts to promote budget transparency and accountability, as a follow up to the IBP September meeting about sharing experiences and lessons learned in the donor approaches to the promotion of these issues, organized by IBP and GIFT.
- May 4-5-6, Cape Town, South Africa: Africa Regional OGP meeting, including a Fiscal Openness Working Group workshop on National Actions Plans, technology information tools and public participation.
- October, Montevideo (date to be determined): FOWG session and workshop at the OGP America regional meeting in Uruguay.
- June 28-29, Ljubljana, Slovenia: OECD Senior Budget Officials meeting in collaboration with PEMPAL (World Bank), the Fiscal Openness Working Group, IBP and the Institute for Public Finance (Croatia), focusing on Europe and Central Asia.
- June/July, Jakarta (date to be determined): a Fiscal Openness Working Group regional workshop, in collaboration with GIFT partners Seknas/Fitra, the Indonesian Ministry of Finance, and the Ford Foundation.
- June 7-8, Washington DC: the GIFT General Stewards Meeting.
- September 20, Washington D.C.: GIFT Lead stewards meeting on strategic planning of the network.
- October 3-5, Washington D.C: high-level presentation of the Guide on Principles and Practices in Public Participation in Fiscal Policies; fall meetings of the IMF-World Bank (October 7-9).
- October 4-5, Washington DC: the GIFT General Stewards Meeting.
- December (date to be determined): OGP Global Summit in Paris, with FOWG sessions and workshop.